Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Temptation



“I chose a place and planned every yard of it
I held the sand in my hands and saw it transform every bit
Into reality from my dreams, a sand castle of my own
I engaged my soul with the sand as it did with the water of the sea
I was humming the tune of glory unaware of the catastrophic drone
I was planning my next daylight engulfed by the mouth of giant I didn’t foresee
I was seeking a wonderful life, waiting for the novice sapling to grow into tree
Little would I’ve known about the giant’s shadow that I was already standing under
Little did I know that my castle would collapse with the thud of the thunder..
                         Now, I stand amidst the silent sea, washed off my bones and skin
           I wonder what was the whole purpose of my life and my yore kith and kin
         I wonder what my life was, just a reel running in the theater for you, God?
 I was only expecting a comma in my life, when suddenly came the final full-stop.”


We are not satisfied with your services or products. At times we wish we could say the above line to the creator of us and this world. Can we replace our lives for a better/best replacements? We cannot and so our only aim (whether conscious or unconscious one) is to attain satisfaction. For some, it is attained through career goals’ accomplishment, for others through other ways. And in the process, we go through vicissitudes of our lives. We go through exhilarating moments at times and at other times we curse our fate!!

But seldom, do we actually remember these moments during our daily humdrum. We do not always walk with an umbrella of happy moments to safeguard us from tumultuous times or frequent seeming triteness of our lives. Nor do we constantly move under the cloud of bad memories. Good and bad times come and go. They are seasonal, right? But there are times when we go through some real tense taxing phases.

Few years back I went through surgeries. It was all supposed to be fine but I was among those rare cases where patients are susceptible to surgery failure. The memories of that time still haunt me. And I wished to erase those memories, but went in vain, as I realized post surgery complications can occur at any time during one’s lifespan and care has to be taken. Basically I’m rendered with a life long fear, which may or may not transform into reality.

But then, don’t we all live under fear. I googled about tsunami and other natural calamities that have taken place. With bated breath, my heart began to get more conspicuous.
An extract from Wikipedia on tsunamis goes like this: “A tsunami can arrive at a coastline in one of two ways. In the first form, a negative wave, a trough precedes the actual arrival of the wave itself. Here, the better recognized warning sign of an impending tsunami strike is a rapidly receding sea followed by a sudden onrushing body of water traveling inland at high speed.
The second form in which a tsunami arrives is the positive wave first. In this case, the warning signs are much more vague if any. The sea will usually start rising immediately, slowly at first without the receding phase, like an on-coming high tide. However, instead of stopping at tidal level, the sea will keep rising faster and faster until the crest of the tsunami passes and continues moving inland. The second form of tsunami waves are usually more dangerous, since they can arrive without easily identifiable warning, giving residents less time to prepare and outrun the tsunami”

Well after reading, I tried to visualize the complete scenario. 35 feet high waves engulfing thousands of lives. Videos of recent earthquake and consequent tsunami in Japan helped me form a better picture. And I wondered that, on that day, at that time, a mother might have held her baby for the first and the last time, a son would have graduated, lovers would have got married, and all the other moments when a person may attain the epitome of his/her life. Viewing all this I was shattered. Events in my life seemed like a mere seasonal rainfall against this tsunami. Or may be all highs and lows, that we face, are like those waves which recede, rise, recede…until they don’t recede and inundate everything.

So the conclusion is as usual that  "Life goes on till we are out of it. You and I will still go out and enjoy existing beaches. " As it’s rightly said that It has never been, and never will be easy work! But the road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
But then I also read that  "Life is a pain, princess.....anyone who says differently is selling something."
But my father sees it all within a different purview. He says, "We don’t eat to live, but live to eat!"

And I too have started believing in the same. That Life is a temptation.  
And that in the course of time, when we get tired and wish an end to everything, we get lured by the prospects, desires our future seems to hold and fulfill.

"The shiny gates of future then glisten                              
We hope, we move ahead, on feet, with blisters
 Life’s like a 'Pepsi' in front of a thirsty
In winters, it’s like a 'whiskey'
For a pedestrian, it’s a 'Mercedes'
And Our life always tempts us to lead
Blindly till we fall into the pit, unaware, unseen..
Any way, let the lives of 'those' rest in peace.."







image source: http://recreateyourlifetoday.blogspot.in/2011/07/temptation.html
                                http://www.picturesocial.com/photo/life-goes-on-3?xg_source=activity 

18 comments:

  1. One of the best one. Starting poem is really good and yes life plays a game with us. When we think everything is finished, it opens a new door to move on and gives reasons to be happy and then again sadness and a new door. It's a vicious circle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thnkn you..and yes u're right that life is a vicious circle after all!!

      Delete
    2. life is a surprise package... jst try to njoy evry moment bcoz v dnt knw wat can happen in the next....jst luved ur way of writing n yess starting poem was too good :)

      Delete
    3. Yup..life is a surprise( shock) package ;)... but as you said, it still has to be enjoyed..we do have fantastic times.. and yes thank you:)

      Delete
  2. Like you said, "Life goes on till we are out of it........

    ReplyDelete
  3. completely agree with each and every word... "the road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination"... so true... very nice post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sakshi,
    Love the way you write, especially your poetry.
    You share nice pensive messages in your writing.
    Thanks for visiting my blog ♥

    Best wishes & Love,
    Hanan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey..thank You.and welcome..
      and such appreciation always encourages me to write more and better :)

      Delete
  5. That’s a beautiful blend of prose n poetry, with some existential questions…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Deeps..Thank you for the lovely comment..and perhaps we may find the answers in those questions themselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the line that nails it and says it all, "But the road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."

    I enjoyed reading this blog..:) I have written something like this not be same but the intention is to take Life as it comes and see how you can get the best out of it. Here is the link: http://www.pkperception.blogspot.in/2012/03/bare-it-all.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey..thank you:)
      visited your blog, liked it..and joined it!!

      Delete
    2. You are welcome and thanks for following my blog....means a lot....:)

      Delete
    3. You are welcome...keep visiting:):)

      Delete
  8. Interesting read but I hope you will find that life is more than temptation....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shushant,
      You are right to believe that life is more than a temptation and it feels nice that you there is a hope from your side for me :)
      Probably life is about understanding life by living it. Yet,we live it not in order to understand it, but because we are tempted to enter future and see what it's like; because we hope..we hope of good times..to live those good times is what tempts us to live..to life..obviously there is a greater deeper meaning and purpose of life which we are unable to comprehend :)
      Cheers..!! Keep reading here and commenting..thank you :)

      Delete